The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Room of My Own

Here below is the view outside my writing room window.


Yes, I've made myself a writing room. It's pretty bare bones. That is, no fancy decorating, nothing on the walls but the view outside the window (which is quite spectacular if you avert your eyes away from the vacant lot just under the window), nothing but a bed (which takes up about 2/3 of the room) and a white bedside table and a kitchen chair. One reason I like to use the bedside table as a computer desk for my laptop (with it pulled slightly skewed to the side so that my legs can comfortably hug the sides of the table instead of my knees bumping the front), is because I'm only 5'2" and sometimes normal computer desks are just a wee wee bit too tall so that I have to sit up stick straight and still my elbows feel a bit strained. This way it's a little on the low side and would be probably too low for anyone er...taller than 5'2". But it's shockingly comfortable even though it looks dorky. Comfortable is vital. It means the difference between saying "screw this" after only 15 minutes and getting distracted by sudoku puzzles or the internetz.

1500 words a day. That's the goal and so far there's been 3 days of stickin' to that. I'm also in extreme upheaval about my novel and goals as a writer, so much so that I'm not even sure I can talk about it...yet. This writing workshop is going to help me think through that, I suspect.

4 Comments:

At 10:20 PM , Blogger Elspeth said...

No wonder you're doing your homework! You've got a writing room! ;)

 
At 4:19 AM , Blogger Sivan said...

"I'm also in extreme upheaval about my novel and goals as a writer"

whoa, what's going on?? man, i'd like to talk to you about this, but i don't know when -- we're having Sam's little cousins stay with us starting tomorrow. well, given your acute intuition about things, i'm sure that once you've thought about this for a while an answer will come!

 
At 12:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

1500 words a day. And I used to agonize for a week over a 3000 word magazine article. Wow.

 
At 8:41 AM , Blogger Andreamuse said...

E: Eeep, need to FINISH that homework today!

S: It's not so much something going on as just...feeling more clarity and at the same time more confusion and har, that's not making any sense. I'm rereading some really old versions of my novel and it's making me all nostalgic for the "early and more innocent" days of it! :D

Iceel: Keep in mind that this is 1500 words of garbage (or vomit as our writer's workshop teacher is fond of saying, lol)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home