The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

TWO posts in one day?

So the bread came out pretty well. I think it needed a bit more salt and the outside needed to be crispier but aside from that, it tasted delicious with some lovely New Zealand butter.

So I accomplished quite a bit today. I wrote for two hours this morning (go me!) and it was good, solid work.

I paid my Flow (cable/internet) bill. I can do that at my bank, which is nice since it's so close and on the way to everything else.

Went to UWI (the university) and mailed some things.

I walked to Tunapuna and got some pretties. I love walking around the market in Tunapuna, tons of little stores, mostly owned by Indian families so there's this awesome mixture of household items, clothing, and Indian items. I am starting to tackle one room at a time as far as "decorating". It's not really my thing, and I'm pretty simplistic, but I like little touches here and there. I am starting with the downstairs bathroom. I got a rug, some pretty Indian-style candle holders, scented candles to go in them, and a hand towel. Yay, starting to look civilized. I also got a chair for the upstairs patio, the kind that is soft (vinyl-like) and has a drink holder. Perfect for sitting outside and reading. I took the maxi taxi back to my area (since I wasn't going to walk with the chair). I stopped at HiLo and picked up a few things and then walked home.

*gives self a gold star before kicking self back into work mode*

3 Comments:

At 9:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Just how do you get New Zealand butter in Trinadad?

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger Kaivalya said...

For a crispier crust on your baguettes, you can try one of two things:

First method: Gently paint the loaf with egg white before baking. This creates a moderately crispy crust and adds a nice shine (also helps the crust brown a bit more).

Second method: Try putting a broiler pan on the bottom rack of the oven when you pre-heat, then add a cup of water to the pan just after putting the bread in the oven (quickly close the oven door!). The steam from the pan will fill the oven and crisp the crust.

 
At 12:49 PM , Blogger Andreamuse said...

Iceel: oops, never answered this, don't know if you'll see this. It's just...so many of the dairy products here come from New Zealand or Australia -- not sure why! :-)

kaivalya: Thank you so much! I do smear some egg on it but I hadn't done just the whites yet. I will try that...and the pan of water idea too! The ones I made the other day came out very well, so I'm getting better...:-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home