The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Friday, February 29, 2008

adventures

Anyway, yesterday was an adventurous day -- Elspeth and I officially registered for the writing class, and then I decided to go ahead and keep her company/ride around with her as she did a few errands. We went to the Trinidad Express in Port of Spain, as well as the Film Company. We stopped at a restaurant to get some pastries and something to drink. Mmm...cheese pie -- the pastry was just perfect. And let's not forget the raisin/oatmeal cookie.

We started to go up a winding road into the rain forest -- and then we ended up in Santa Cruz. We stopped at a farm that belongs to a family that Elspeth had worked with awhile back. This was a warm, lovely family living in a simple bright blue cottage tucked off the side of this quiet road on the side of a tiny cliff, surrounded by vegetation and mountains. To get to it, we had to trek a short distance on a dirt trail. They did their planting on rolling areas of uneven ground. The kids ran around barefoot and one boy wore the coolest straw hat, and they spoke in such thick accents that I really had to strain to understand anything, but I was proud of how much I did. There were chickens (TAME chickens, and Girlblue, another one named Whitey!!) and dogs wandering around. The kids had rolled this smooth carpet over part of the hilly front yard, and we sat outside chatting with the kids for awhile on this smooth carpet on the edge of the wee cliff, just sort of enjoying the breeze that rustled the coconut trees and watching the various shades of green of the mountains and enjoying the peaceful quiet. They sent home green figs and other fruit with us.

And I came home to find that Miss Stardust had gotten herself out of her cage and was cheerfully playing on top of her cage. I should have called her Houdini. :-)

4 Comments:

At 1:23 PM , Blogger GirlBlue said...

Ohhhh sounds like you guys had a wonderful time,I'm jealous.

Oh I'm taking two weeks vacation around Easter, we'll go exploring then

 
At 3:14 PM , Blogger Sivan said...

this sounds like a zen and special visit. is it fig season there? are there even specific seasons for fruit there, or can you get anything anytime of year? (i don't know how it works so close to the equator).

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger Elspeth said...

Maybe you should take Stardust to play with Pollyanna the guinea fowl.

 
At 8:18 AM , Blogger Andreamuse said...

GB: Yay yay! That's so exciting -- 2 weeks off! I'm up for exploring, that's for sure! :-)

S: I guess it might be fig season since he picked it for us? Hmm...I actually have no idea what is in season or not. I need to discover that...I'm sorry the network wasn't working when you tried to call. I used my phone and had M call my phone and it was working, so it must have been an issue of getting calls from overseas or something? Weird.

E: hahaha! Poooor sweet Pollyanna!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home