The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bread..

Okay, and today starts the great quest, the attempt to make the perfect French baguette. I am SO picky when it comes to French bread. Sometimes HiLo does it okay, although in all my experiences with grocery stores in every place I've lived, I rarely rarely rarely find French bread that I like or even find satisfying. For me, it has to be just perfect. It has to be crispy and tan on the outside so that if you squeeze it, it crackles, and on the inside it has to be soft and chewy. Well, the only way to find perfection I suppose is to start making it myself. So..today's experiment will be the first. I armed myself with regular flour, regular salt, a packet of yeast and a sprinkling of sugar. Let's see. It's smelling pretty good from the oven so far.

I also need to make more cookies because I might as well take advantage of this time in my menstrual cycle (sorry for the tmi) when I want to eat everything bad for me in sight -- might as well be fresh, good quality bad food.

I wish I had a clue about gardening, too. I would love to start on a very very small scale, like in a pot on my patio. Unfortunately, I have the black thumb of death when it comes to living plants.

2 Comments:

At 9:20 AM , Blogger GirlBlue said...

*inhales deeply* Bread

Suddenly remembers that she has to drop back Andrea's container...I will time it perfectly so she will suspect nothing
Maybe I should not have had that last thought out loud

 
At 12:11 PM , Blogger Andreamuse said...

*giggles* Come on by! (I have one of your containers too -- I'm sure Lindsey wouldn't mind more cookies if I get around to making them...lol!)

These didn't turn out half bad. They weren't perfection, but they're pretty good, esp when they were hot out of the oven...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home