The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Food, food, food

I believe that there's something seriously wrong with me. I have been practically living off of this weird mixture of cut up cucumbers, tomatoes, snowpeas, chickpeas, a bit of cut-up ginger, dab of West Indies hot sauce, a bit of oregano, all soaking in garlic red wine vinegar. I get into these stages where all I want is super pickly food and this urge far outweighs my urge for chocolate and freshly baked baguettes.

And also there's this chicken broth soup mix here that I adore called "spicy cock soup."

I must go on about the yogurt here again. Okay, the Mount Saint Benedict yogurt (made at the monastery) is simply the best. It's a crapshoot as to which flavors are available at HiLo on any given day and sometimes there is absolutely nothing left or just a few little containers. Here are the flavors: strawberry, plain, guava, passionfruit, almond, soursop. They are all so delicious that I don't ever care which one I'm able to snag. Smooth, rich taste, an explosion of taste in your mouth (hey, I sound like an advertisement).

I've had a repeat dream involving several variations of the same scenario of being back the US and explaining to people that I run into (like coworkers *waves if any of you are reading*) that I'm not really there.

3 Comments:

At 6:02 AM , Blogger Sivan said...

oooo! i always love reading about food!
umm, i think it's pretty clear-cut when you get your cravings for pickled things, isn't it? ;-)

we leave on our trip tomorrow, btw.

 
At 2:53 PM , Blogger GirlBlue said...

sounds like a pretty nice salad that. Last time I went in search of Mt. St. Benedict yogurt I didn't get any, not even the small tubs

 
At 6:12 PM , Blogger Andreamuse said...

S: You know I never get bored of food! (I got some Indian take-out for lunch that was tasty). yay for trip!

H: I can't stop eating cucumbers! It's crazy! They usually have it at the HiLo close to me, but there have definitely been days when there is nothing! *weeps* Like today there was only guava, which we like, that's fine, but my favorite is the strawberry! :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home