The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Ready...set...write

Okay, I've been in kind of a quiet, subdued mode lately. Part of this is creativity. I have been on a pretty good pattern of writing although I'd like it if I could focus for longer spurts. I have this creative fantasy about getting into a project and being so into it that I forget to eat, sleep, or have a desire to do anything else (read: get on the internet). That hasn't happened yet and I feel like it should happen because this is the first time in a very long time that I haven't had other obligations. My big fantasy is that I'd emerge from a week or so of this complete pulling out from reality and be shocked that my entire novel has written itself. Okay, so that HAS happened before, but in much smaller chunks. I remember once while with Lara at Starbucks in Jacksonville writing with headphones on and getting so into a scene that I was writing (that I have yet to revise and merge into the Novel of Doom) that I was actually crying to myself, so affected I was by actually being pulled into my own story and the background music that I was using. But I'm selfish. I don't want it to just happen for one hour or two. I want it to happen for a long chunk of time. I remember in the movie Amadeaus how Mozart would get into these fits of (okay maybe insanity but aren't all of us artist types a bit insane?) creativity so that he blocked out all else. Nobody wants to sit in front of a blank screen and curse being there and feel like the words that are coming out are awkward and juvenile, something a six-year-old might have written. It hasn't been that way for me, but there are certainly days. But my favorite days are when I write and then I look back on it and think, "Who wrote this?" Not so much because it's brilliant or well-written, but more so because I don't recognize any of the words as being specifically chosen by me.

In more mundane news, I am trying to get going on planning a day trip to Tobago. Local peeps? Do you know the easiest way that one can book the Air Bridge? Or is the ferry better? I feel totally lost at this (since it's the first time, lol!) although I know it must be astoundingly easy.

2 Comments:

At 12:29 PM , Blogger GirlBlue said...

I'm so there for daytrip to Tobago you know that, spawnlet would be itching to go to if she only knew.

Caribbean Airlines would be the way to go. You can reach them at 627-5160. Just let me no when and we will book..

And yes you creative types always have a streak of insanity in you, that's what makes you even more interesting

 
At 5:45 PM , Blogger Andreamuse said...

hee! You know MY schedule is quite flexible, so it's really up to your schedule! yay! Thanks for the phone number!

*pets my insanity*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home