The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Carnival is comin'...

Whee, I had terrific day yesterday!

So I was walking home from the store in the blazing heat, when Hayley called, asking if I wanted to go to a "jump up Carnival party" at her daughter's school. Never one to turn down such an opportunity, I was like, sure, and ran home (almost literally in the heat) to meet her.

So we went to her daughter's school, and it was possibly the most amazingly adorable thing ever. When we arrived, they were in the midst of limbo contests. We settled in and got some overly priced rotis and I had a "smalta" -- a malt-like drink very similar to the Vita Malt that I described down below...

There was a theme to the whole party, that of a celebration of a famous calypso artist named Lord Kitchener. There were decorated banners everywhere, displaying the titles of Kitchener's songs, posters and knowledge about his life, etc.

Classes from about 2nd grade through 5th grade took turns in the steel pan contest, and each played a different song by Lord Kitchener. The kids were absolutely fantastic, considering how young they were! And not only fantastic, but they had real stage presence. First, they were dressed up in themed costumes with glitter on their faces. Second, while they played, they danced, got everyone excited.

But here's the really amazing thing that blew my mind with coincidence. One of the classes was in about 3rd or 4th grade, and the kids all dressed up in bumblebee costumes (okay, adorable enough alone). So then they started playing "Bee's Melody" a very famous Lord Kitchener song, a very bouncy and happy tune and you just can't help but dance to it. The kids were AMAZING! And here I was just squealing to myself in happy surprise because not only had I used that piece as a sample of "island" music in a presentation I gave in a music education class years ago, but I also used it in great detail in a scene in my novel (!!!!). AND not only that, this class won the contest!! They got a huge enthusiastic applause.

Here's a link to an adult band, the Renegades, playing a variation of the same song at Panorama, just to give you a feel for the whole idea of pan bands...Bee's Melody by the Renegades

So after the party, Hayley and I went to Port of Spain so that she could pick up her Carnival costume. This was a long ordeal because many people were picking up their costumes. I bought some facial and hair glitter and make up for the eyes and face. I'm getting mighty mighty tempted to go see if there are any unpicked up costumes on Sunday so that I might participate as well...mighty tempted...well, we shall see...okay, so that means I'm a masochist since that would be dancing and walking for miles in the hot hot sun for two days in a row...eh, we shall see!

After running a few errands, we ate at a really good Chinese restaurant. And now I am home. I didn't accomplish ONE THING as far as my writing schedule...and that's okay!

2 Comments:

At 4:55 PM , Blogger GirlBlue said...

such a good day :(
I'm still tired lol

 
At 6:54 PM , Blogger Sivan said...

how fantastic! sounds awesome.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home