The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Of Walks and Breads...

So I've gone on a few walks over the past few days. Actually, I make it a point to go on a long walk every day if possible, even if it's too hot (like yesterday). I've been trying to identify a smell that I associate with Trinidad. I know that in Jacksonville, I associated the coffee factory smell, or the smell of burnt coffee from the Maxwell factory or the smell of stale river. Here there is often a baked, curry smell, but I need to contemplate more on this...

Sounds are easy -- lots of honking, soca music blasting from cars, roosters crowing, steel pan chimes (from the man who plays for money in front of Hi Lo most days)...

I wanted to show off a few pics from along a walk yesterday.

Here is the university, I believe this is the main admin building.


This was taken from the car park (parking lot) of the university bookstore. I just liked the backdrop with the cool-looking clouds and coconut trees in a row.


This is my most visited building, oh Hi Lo, wondrous provider of food. I expect it to be a madhouse in coming days because of Carnival.


Today I walked in a different direction (without the camera). Kids were just getting out of school and a lot of them had sparkles and paint on their faces, having clearly had a Carnival party at school. I ran into Elspeth again and we had a brief meeting before she had to pick up her nephew from school and we went to the bakery. I got a delicious half-loaf of coconut bread. It's sort of similar to banana bread in taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home