The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A quest...

Today I have a quest. My quest, should I choose to accept it, is to buy a lamp. The part of this quest is to take a maxitaxi for the first time. Elspeth talked me through what I do so I don't look like a fool. So my plan for now is to hang out with my one hour of internet time, get a snack (probably a roti), and then go to Tunapuna by foot (not far at all from here) and get a lamp and come to think of it, a cutting board.

I ran into Elspeth on my walk here. What amuses me in a warm, fuzzy way is that we ran into each other quite accidentally and she said she somehow knew we were going to run into each other. Also, while I was talking to her outside the bank, she saw her mom, sister, and dad at separate times. To go along with that, I'm starting to recognize familiar faces and people as I walk around.

The evenings can be strange. We don't have a television or cable yet, nor do we have internet. All this is coming by Friday, yay. So after dinner, everything is so quiet. In some ways, it's nice. I've always maintained that I'd be perfectly happy living without a television. But in other ways, it makes me a little melancholy and I start thinking about my birds (with them, it was NEVER silent) and my friends back home, etc. I think once things will feel more "homey" with the television going and me on the internet all evening, that evening melancholy will fade.

It rained this morning on my walk, and as I was coming home, it had gotten light and the rain had faded, and there was this ethereal mist over the mountains behind us over the forest.

5 Comments:

At 12:16 PM , Blogger GirlBlue said...

When I used to leave home later and take the spawnlet to school myself, I would always see Elspeth walking around. In fact I saw her the other day when I had to turn the car around and rush back home for my daughter's medicine. When you live or pass by that area regularly you tend to remember who's who.

Hope you got your lamp and cutting board

 
At 6:09 PM , Blogger Sivan said...

that's great -- you're already getting used to the neighborhood! but how long will you guys live there? isn't it temporary housing?
has M started to teach yet?
I wish we could go on your morning walk together. :-(

 
At 5:29 AM , Blogger Greenlight Network said...

... Girlblue lives in St Augustine too?

 
At 5:45 AM , Blogger GirlBlue said...

hahah no but its on the way home

 
At 11:27 AM , Blogger Andreamuse said...

Girlblue: hee. You've probably seen me walking around and not known it...I feel like I'm always walking around...I did. I got both! Success!

S: Oh, yes, wish you were here, too! The walks are lonely! We get to stay in our housing indefinitely now as far as I understand -- yay! M started to teach this week!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home