The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Monday, April 07, 2008

tired

Well, I have my work cut out for me and what can I say? I'm overwhelmed. I'm a little reluctant to write the following because it might sound like my mood is worse than it really is, if that makes any sense, and I don't want anyone to think that.

The last few days have been crushingly tiring. And I haven't even been doing much. At all. Like yesterday. Yesterday was going to be this glorious writing day with no obligations. I spent the day doing exactly what I shouldn't be doing (aimlessly wandering online) and not doing what I should be doing and feeling awful that I wasn't doing what I should be doing.

And then there are all these things that I know I need to take care of. I know I need to stand in line at the bank for 50 hours so that I can transfer some money to my US account so I can finally go ahead and buy my ticket for this summer. Don't want to go. I know I need to jump through some hoops to get my boxes tomorrow (E, I hope it's still okay if we can stop by there before we go write??? I will definitely treat you for lunch! :-)), I know I need to somehow deal with getting my driver's license here (*big dread and confusion*), but I feel like I'm swimming in muddy water. Like all my sense of intuition is skewered and nothing is familiar and I'm too tired to deal with it.

I suppose it's just a phase of moving somewhere brand new. Don't get me wrong, I've really had no issues with homesickness aside from missing the odd thing here or there or missing people (although I lived far away from most of my people anyway while I was in the US). And believe me, when I have dreams that I'm leaving here, I actually consider those anxiety dreams. I don't want to leave. I like my lifestyle here. But I think that the exhaustion comes from being in a new environment, how it takes more energy to go through the day to day regular routine. Like I have to strain more to understand, to walk down the street, to deal with the mundane, to deal with bureaucracy. And then it all builds up to a climax of exhaustion and I-don't-want-to-deal attitude.

But again, this all makes it sound a lot worse than it really is. I have a goal and a purpose. My writing schedule could be spectacular (oh, if only these mundane obligations and irritations would just go awaaaaay). Dr. Nunez in our writing workshop talked about going to a writer's retreat where you do nothing but write, eat, and sleep for a period of weeks. Someone does your cooking, laundry, leaves you in absolute peace. That just sounds heavenly. Imagine just not having to deal with anything but getting the job done. It's going to be one of my goals to make it to one of those retreats one day...

I'll try to be more "uplifting" later!

3 Comments:

At 12:57 PM , Blogger Elspeth said...

No need to try and be uplifting. As humans we experience so many moods. Your tiredness is natural and understandable. The mundane tasks are tiring here - the long lines, the traffic, the often slow nd frustrating service (or lack thereof), the heat of the day ... the list goes on. Just dive in and do it and then you will have free time. Procrastination piles everything up. Yes, can go and get box tomorrow before our pseudo Yadda.

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You cannot force yourself to write. When the inspiration hits, when it finally does mature and come to fruition, nothing will STOP you from writing.

 
At 11:53 AM , Blogger Andreamuse said...

E: Thank you! I'm a terrible procrastinator and that's part of the trouble with me, I'm afraid. It's just so much more immediately pleasurable to stay home and write! :-)

Iceel: I find though that if I force myself to sit at the computer that the writing will come and I will like it. It's just getting past the mental block and fear about sitting in front of that blank page! :-) Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home