The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Today...

ugh, well, hitting more and more brick walls with getting darling Tico here. My last real hope is using one of these pet relocations but nobody is contacting me back. I was actually really looking forward to Amy being able to come, even if it was just for a very short visit (already was thinking of all the places we could go that I haven't explored yet) and I had bought some cheap Trini rum. The real problem is that the international flights from the US airlines (Delta, Continental, American) come in after customs for live animals already closes. Anything earlier (American Airlines cargo is the only one) can't come in because of temperature restrictions (can't be 85 or above for cargo of live animals). Ironically, the import permit has been going smoothly.

So, cross your fingers and toes for me...I'll need all the birdie luck I can get!

In other news, it is hot here. Is that a shock? :-) I'm reading about snowstorms in the northeast of the US and it seems like a totally different world to me. Not that we ever got snow in Florida -- but there were definitely cold nights in the winter. Not so here.

Food I've tried: I LOVE the potato pastries. I know this is not a particularly Trini food; they have these all over Europe, I know, but I will never grow tired of delicate pastry that wraps spicy potato inside. I'm drooling thinking about it! Fresh mango? Niiiice...In general the fruit tastes tastier here.

Coconut/pineapple Fruta juice is a big thumbs up. Very refreshing without being overly sweet. I notice that in the ingredients that local foods do not seem to cram everything with fructose corn syrup. If it calls for sugar, then it uses sugar. Not that sugar is so great for you if you eat too much of it, but it's better than eating the fake sugar.

AND I started writing last night for the first time since the chaos of just before the move. Go me!

I will try to take some fresh pictures soon. I keep forgetting to take my camera when I leave the house...

1 Comments:

At 7:47 PM , Blogger GirlBlue said...

Best of luck getting your birds in, I know how hard that could be and hopefully its not the same quarantine period that dogs and cats have to go through :(

I'm seriously looking into getting some sort of carnival itinerary for you so that you could get to know the traditional side of carnival not just the "jump and wine" culture that has invaded.

Are you by chance talking about aloo (potato) pies? were they fried?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home