The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Friday, January 11, 2008

Here


Okay, I'm here in Trinidad! We arrived late late last night and after a minor delay at immigration during which time the immigration officer entertained us at length about steel pan. The above picture is where we are living for now -- I guess this is transitional housing via the university. Okay, it's really warm here (hello, the tropics!) and the air conditioning really only works in the upstairs rooms and even there not so much in the master bedroom! It works really well in one of the smaller bedrooms so will be sleeping there tonight.

Today I tried a fish patty and vita malt, as far as local fare. I really wanted to try a roti but I couldn't seem to find it yet. Vita malt is difficult to describe but I suspect it's something for people with really weird food tastes like me. It has a malty flavor, sort of gingery. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not at first, but I think I do now.

It gets light early in the morning here. It was just after six this morning and the birds were chirping (and they were birds I'd never heard before) and the sunlight was bright.

I have very fluky internet service right now because I'm borrowing a wireless from somewhere nearby and don't have my own yet.

Hello, everyone! (ack, I'm sorry Elspeth is without internet indefinitely...hopefully she'll be back soon!)

1 Comments:

At 9:33 AM , Blogger Elspeth said...

Hello! I'm back. Sent you an e-mail last night with my #. Get in touch and I'll show you around.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home