The Isle of Gems

Musings and observations about life, previously on the island of Trinidad, now as a nomadic traveler.

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Jungle walking...

Yesterday, I accompanied Elspeth and a group of her acquaintances and friends to walk up the mountain from Santa Cruz and help plant a special tree for a special purpose. Hey, the good news is that I'm not sore today like I was sure I would be after all the huffing and puffing and using of muscles I haven't used in a long time going up those practically sheer uphill trails. Those expensive hiking boots I bought in Scotland seven years ago served me very well. :-) While I kept an eye out for poisonous snakes and big, hairy spiders, I saw neither, whew!

I could only take one pic as we were walking because there was that issue of making sure one foot was going in front of the other without tripping...


Pretty scene we were rewarded with!


Some people swimming in the spring...


Planting of the tree...


Back at the lodge of our lovely hosts. They are creating an eco-land out of the 250 acres they have. This is their lovely porch...I could have sat there for hours, listening to the birds and wildlife...


This is Charlie, their macaw. He refused to talk to us.


At the end, the four of us separated from the rest of the group. We got ice-cream (mmm...coffee and nutella flavored ice-cream!) and realized that ice-cream was the answer to happiness. Then we went to Lady Young Lookout and had some corn soup and watched the beginning of the sunset over Port of Spain. If you look carefully you can see the distant shadow of Venezuela!

5 Comments:

At 8:50 AM , Blogger Elspeth said...

Happiness, Fun and Joy - to be explored and experienced.

 
At 12:01 PM , Blogger GirlBlue said...

Sounds like a wonderful day overall. Lovely pictures, so proud of you for remembering your camera ;)

 
At 3:56 PM , Blogger Sivan said...

looks awesome, babe. jungle walk, good company, amazing setting, delicious ice cream: these could easily be 4 components in an ideal day!

 
At 11:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

How lucky you are to live in such a lovely place.

 
At 8:23 AM , Blogger Andreamuse said...

SOrry, guys, I suck, I haven't responded to anything this week!

E: oh it was such lovely happiness

GB: I've got about a 1 out of 3 track record with remembering the camera...let's see if I can remember to bring it to Tobago!

S: totally!!! And Tobago tomorrow! Whee!

Iceel: There is an incredible amount of beauty...wish I were more of an "artist!" ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home